5 Tips for Working with Contractors
Whether you're doing a full kitchen remodel or just replacing flooring, many home improvement jobs will require the skills of a professional. That's when it's time to call on a contractor. Here are some tips for choosing the right contractor for your job.
1. What's this going to cost me? It's important to obtain three written bids. Understand, however, that the bid is only as good as the information you provide the contractors. Give them accurate plans or drawings to enable them to determine the scope of work and costs involved. If prices differ by a wide margin, consider obtaining additional bids. Be wary of a bid that is substantially lower than the others, as this could indicate the contractor made a mistake or did not understand the scope of the project.
2. Have you done this before? Ask potential contractors to see samples of past work, and get references in writing. Call the contractor's previous customers, and ask if they were satisfied with the work. Go out and look at the work for yourself.
3. Are you licensed? Insist on working with a licensed contractor. Although it's not a guarantee of satisfaction, licensure means the contractor has met experience and examination requirements and must fulfill certain conditions in order to maintain the license. A licensed contractor must also have worker's compensation insurance and a bond. Check with the Nevada State Contractors Board to see if the if the contractor you are considering is licensed and in good standing in the proper classification and within the monetary limit for which you want to hire.
4. What are the payment terms? Understand upfront how and when the payments will be collected, from a deposit to partial payments along the way or a final payment when the job is complete.
5. When can you start? If the project is time-sensitive from your perspective - perhaps you have company coming - be sure to understand the contractor's timeline, and make that part of the bid process. Some contractors may be very busy and will not start or be able to complete your job when you need it.
For more information on working with contractors, go to the Nevada State Contractors Board website.
Brought to you by...
Prominent Realty Group LLC
Dawn Barrier EXP REALTY Las Vegas (702) 812-4550
Any Stats are on Resale Single Family homes only per the GLVAR MLS as of this writing or as noted,covers the Las Vegas Valley, North Las Vegas, Henderson area or as noted.
All photography on this site are the property of Dawn Barrer unless otherwise noted and are
protected by U.S. Copyright laws and are not allowed to be downloaded or reproduced in any
way without written permission of Dawn Barrier.If you would like permission to use a photo
please email Dawn Important Notice -This is a personal blog.